Sunday, April 25, 2010

Wasted Time and Energy

I don't know about you, but from time to time I find myself concentrating a little too hard and a little too long on something that really doesn't matter. Today is no exception.

This morning when I woke up, I got on Facebook and was confronted by an email from a woman I don't know. Well, I do know her... Sort of. I know her in the kind of way you know the girl who worked as a cashier at the gas station by your house 6 years ago and the way you know a girl whose little brother was an acquaintance in high school.

In the email, she accuses me of talking about an incident that happened about 15 years or so ago and then she brings up some false information regarding my husband. Let me tell ya, folks. It's a great way to wake up.

So I emailed her back. I told her that I don't know her, I know nothing about her, and I have better things to do than talk about someone I don't know. While I really wanted to go off the handle and drag it out, in the long run I know I will regret it. I hate drama and I have no interest in being involved in it. So instead, I wrote out a short and to the point response and decided to leave it at that.

This was 3 hours ago. And I've thought of little other than that since. I wonder who is telling her that I'm talking about her. I think about what I'll say when she responds. I've called and spoken to several friends about the whole ordeal. I just can't get if off my mind.

But. It's so stupid. The timestamp on her email is shortly after the bars close and by the typos she made in it, I'm assuming that she got home from the bar and wanted to start some problems with people. From the things that I hear about her, this wouldn't surprise me.

As well, I realize that while I said I have no interest in talking about her, that's exactly what I'm doing.

Ugh.

So I am making this vow: I'm done wasting my energy on this person that I don't know. I have no stock in the brand of bull she's selling so I'm really just wasting my time and efforts on something that is never going to prove fruitful for me or my family.

Do you ever find yourself wasting time thinking and talking about something that shouldn't matter? How to you break the cycle?