Tuesday, March 16, 2010

All Dressed Up With No Place to Go

Ugh... I'm having a crappy day here, folks. And it's only 9:50am.

For those of you who don't know me, I am not a morning person. I can get up in the morning, but I don't like to. That being said, here I am, awake, stomach growling.

On Sunday, my Gramma's cousin Bonnie and her daughter Susan arrived in town for a visit. Bonnie and Susan are pretty classy and most always put together very well. I am not classy in that way and I am rarely put together much better than jeans, a tee shirt and a ponytail - if I'm lucky.

So when Gramma invited me to 9am breakfast for this morning, I knew I had better get up early. I set my alarm for 8, and then reset it for 8:30 (because I'm a lazy slob, I guess). I got up, got dressed (in nice clothes), put on make-up, did my hair... I look nice, people. And looking nice before noon, for me? Not a regular occurrence. Hey - I'm a mom, and I hate mornings. What can I say?

Once I was done getting myself ready, which took a surprisingly short amount of time, I woke up Kairi and got her dressed. Gracie had a late night last night, so I let her sleep. There's no way her day will go well if she's woken before she's ready.

We set out into the morning with our jackets on. The air was crisp and cool and damp from the dew. It took getting Kairi buckled in for her to wake up and realize that she was in a good mood. She was still so drowsy while we were inside. She laughed and clapped the whole drive to my Gramma's house.

When we pulled up though, I noticed that the lights in the breakfast nook and kitchen weren't on. Curious, I thought, but I assumed that they were visiting in the living room so we walked up to the door and knocked. But there was no answer. So I called. Still no answer. I left a message. And no reply.

I turned around, buckled Kairi back into her carseat and made the drive back home, avoiding the detour to the local coffee shop for my iced chai I so desperately craved. ...It sucks being broke.

So, here I sit, awake much earlier than I'd like to be, dressed to the nines, digesting only a Star Crunch snack, waiting on my Gramma to wake up and call me back.

I think I may go lie back down and try to start this day over.

4 comments:

Lauren Wayne said...

I am sooo not a morning person, so I understand how frustrating that must have been. What a horrible way to start the day. Here's hoping your Gramma makes it up to you. :)

Fia Kilbourn said...

:( I don't like when things like that happen. Hope your day gets better.

Kimberly Wright said...

You should have just stayed in bed girl.

Anonymous said...

Oh yes, the go back to bed because I want to start the day over moment. I have had lots of those.

I remember when I got the chance to call it a day. With children you are lucky to be able to start over LOL.

I hope when you woke up you things where better :)

Post a Comment