Thursday, June 3, 2010

Hey - At Least It's Not Twilight

Over the past few months, since February 1, to be exact, I've spent less and less time online (as evidenced by the lack of blog posts). Granted, my Facebook page is always open so I'm sure it appears that I'm online, but I'm not. No, in fact, I have been spending my time reading (get this) Harry Potter.

I have to admit, I am somewhat behind the times. When there is a huge fad, like the one surrounding the Harry Potter series in general, I tend to avoid it as long as possible. It wasn't until the second Harry Potter movie was on DVD that I saw the first. I waited at least a couple years before reading the Da Vinci Code. And you know what? I loved them all. I've seen each of the subsequent Harry Potter movies in the theaters and I've read every book that Dan Brown (author of the Da Vinci Code) has written.

I've come to this conclusion, folks: things become fads (at least these types of things) because in most cases, they're REALLY GOOD. And as much as I try to resist them, I always find myself falling victim to their siren song and becoming woo-ed into taking part, even if it is years after the fact. Then I find myself wondering why on earth I waited so long.

The Harry Potter series has been no different. I am LOVING it. I finished the 6th book, The Half-Blood Prince, last night and started the last of the series, The Deathly Hallows, immediately thereafter. I would like to say that I'm going to take my time with this book, that I am going to draw out as much pleasure from it as I can, but I know that I will end up whizzing through it as quickly as I have the 6 books before it. I have a feeling that once it's over there is going to be a void to fill, so the pleasure I'm taking in reading this last book is a little bittersweet.

I have begun to wonder what I'm going to do with myself once I'm finished. I am toying with the idea of reading another series, although I haven't found any other stories that appeal to me. Really, there is only one thing I know: I will NOT be reading Twilight.